No, you’re not going to get any from me.
I don’t write about the schools, not because I don’t think they’re important, but because it is a whole other complicated subject and I simply do not have the time to learn enough to do a decent job of it. But the strike is a big deal, and also I noticed that the discussion on the Great Oakland Public Schools guest post has been revived this week, so I figured I should probably at least acknowledge it and post some links for reference.
Oakland Education Association President Betty Olson-Jones has a blog up at Oakland Seen inviting community members to picket this morning and come to a rally in front of City Hall from noon to 2 to show support for the teachers. Great Oakland Public Schools posted a very thoughtful statement about the strike and OUSD’s budget situation on their blog. And I think my favorite thing I’ve read about the issue all week is definitely Robert Gammon’s great post on the East Bay Express blog about why he’s sending his child to school during the strike, which I think did a really good job communicating what a horrible thing the OEA is doing to Oakland’s children and families.
Anyway, for reports on this morning’s events (and I assume this afternoon’s rally), check out Oakland Tribune reporter Katy Murphy’s blog, The Education Report, which has from about the picket lines at a bunch of different schools. Also, you can follow Murphy on Twitter.
Oh, and for a blast from the past, check out this blog dto510 wrote four years ago about how damaging a teacher’s strike would be for Oakland’s children and public school system.
Links for further reading
- CBS5: Oakland teachers strike for a day over lack of pay
- CBS5: Oakland teachers claim ‘strong showing’ in walkout
- East Bay Express blog: OUSD’s Craigslist Ad: Why I am not sending my child to school during the teacher’s strike
- East Bay Express blog: Grand Lake Theater offering matinee double-feature for OUSD Strike
- Entropical Paradise: Strike One
- Great Oakland Public Schools blog: Statement from GO Public Schools: Respecting our students, families, teachers, and OUSD employees
- Great Oakland Public Schools blog: One middle school teacher’s picket sign
- I Hella <3 Oakland!: Oakland strike opinion
- KCBS: Oakland Teacher Walk Out’s Catch 22
- Mr. Peabody: Our schools
- NBC Bay Area: Attendance Plummets in Oakland Today
- Oakland Local: Today’s the Teacher’s Strike in Oakland: What you need to know
- Oakland North: Oakland teachers strike Thursday; school still in session
- Oakland North: Oakland Tech students’ take on strike; achievement gap
- Oakland North: Teacher strike Thursday, return to bargaining next week
- Oakland Seen: Oakland teachers strike today
- Oakland Seen: Debate outlines issues behind Oakland teachers strike
- San Francisco Chronicle: Oakland teachers steel for one-day walkout
- The Education Report: Union letter: Send your kids to school on Thursday at their own risk
- The Education Report: Oaklanders: Do you support the strike? The contract imposition?
- The Education Report: Strike day vandalism at American Indian School
- The Education Report: Striking students outnumber teachers at Fremont
- The Education Report: Glenview teachers persuasive
- The Education Report: Skyline tries to teach; students not so interested
- The Education Report: Bret Harte parents get the message
- The Education Report: Solidarity, yard-duty attire, donuts at Laurel Elementary
- The Education Report: Students join their teachers on the line
- The Education Report: Things get heated at Piedmont Elementary
- The Education Report: Early picket lines
- The Education Report: On Thursday, what’s a school secretary to do?
- The Oakbook: What to do when the teachers strike
- The Oakbook: Vandalism at Charter School
- Today in Montclair: Mellow strikers at the schools