Today’s the big day! The MTC will be voting this morning on whether or not to assign $140 million to the Oakland Airport Connector. The meeting starts at 10:05. If you can’t make it down to 101 8th Street, but are just dying to know what happens, you’ve got a couple of options. One, you can listen to the meeting’s live audio stream. You can get meeting updates on Twitter, where me and dto510 will be posting the highlights.
And in other news:
- This year’s Art & Soul line-up was announced yesterday. It’s so pathetic I may skip the festival entirely. I think there was more exciting music at last year’s Rockridge Street Fest. Sad.
- Oakland fireman (and excellent writer) Zac Unger has a guest post up at Living in the O detailing the firefighter union’s new contract.
- The Port Commission selected the AMB/CCG proposal (Phil Tagami’s team) to negotiate with for developing their portion of the Army Base. The City Council will make their decision next week.
- All of Oakland’s special election ballot measures passed easily, which is a good thing, because…
- …State leaders finally agreed on a budget, and, as expected…
- …it robs the hell out of local government funds to close the State’s budget deficit.
- But who knows how long that will last, because, of course,everyone’s going to sue to stop it, of course.
- Oakland isn’t alone with its drop in crime this year. Large cities throughout the country are seeing the same trend, confusing criminologists.
- Are you excited about the Census yet? Nervous? Counting everyone in the whole country is a huge challenge. Here’s a good overview of how the process works.