I’ve totally neglected the blog lately, and I really am sorry for that. It’s just been one of those weeks and I just haven’t been able to find the time. There’s a ton of stuff I’m just dying to talk about, though, so I promise to be back in regular form on Monday. But for today, I’m just going to share some other reading material that you might find interesting.
- Mother’s Cookies shut down! Tragic! I suppose it isn’t an immediate tragedy for Oakland, since they closed their factory here and we lost those jobs a couple years ago, but I’m trying to imagine a world without the Cookie Parade, and I have to say, it makes everything seem just a little bit bleaker.
- I really don’t understand people who want to eliminate District elections. Why would we want the Council to be even less accountable to the citizens than they already are? It gives me nightmares to imagine a Council selected entirely by hills voters – we’d have, like, eight Jean Quans!
- I also disagree with calls for pay-go to be eliminated. I think pay-go is really important, although I do agree that, given the difficult budget situation, it should be significantly cut for the time being. Everyone needs to share the pain. But I just have to say – Henry Chang is not doing any favors for those want to defend pay-go as a legitimate expense by giving $4,000 to the US Tennis Association (PDF).
- Eric at Transbay Blog wrote a couple of excellent posts on BART to San Jose. Check them out.
- I don’t know if I’ve had a chance yet to mention Oakland Space Academy here, but it’s a great addition to the local blogosphere. His post about Stand’s Best Picks had me laughing out loud.
- Also making me laugh out loud this week: the comments from Becks and dto510 about zoning in Black Rock City.